Are you planning a road trip? Campervan is a very useful and affordable mode of transport. It is both transport and accommodation in one.
Are you planning a road trip? Campervan is a very useful and affordable mode of transport. It is both transport and accommodation in one. It is fitted with a kitchen, bedroom and toilet. There are many campervan hire companies in South Island. And there are dedicated sites where you can park your campervan.
Why Hire a Campervan?
We all have different needs and expectation when travelling. Here are the reasons why you should hire a campervan:
• It is functional. You have everyone driving, sleeping and eating in one place
• It is affordable. You don’t have to pay extra accommodation costs
• It is fun. Who can forget those long road trips with family or friends singing your favourite songs
Things to Consider When Hiring a Campervan
1. Insurance – Accidents happen, be sure you are covered for unexpected damages. The bigger the campervan the more expensive the insurance. Some hiring companies have compulsory insurance while some give you the option to waive excess and pay high rental and vice versa.
2. Road Assistance – hire your campervan from a company that offers road assistance. This will cover you in case of smaller problems like a flat tire
3. Driver’s age limit – You must be of driving age to hire a campervan. If you have assistant drivers they must be of driving age as well. The minimum age in New Zealand is 21 and there may be restriction for individuals over 75 years
4. Size of the campervan – The campervan size you hire depends on the number of people travelling. When travelling with small children consider giving them a little bit of space, especially if the trip is long. You don’t want to pull over every 30 minutes.
5. Camping equipment provided – consider things like kitchen and sleeping equipment. Some campervans have toilet facilities and some don’t. It is advisable to hire one with a toilet if you are travelling with small children.
6. Fuel consumption – Consider fuel usage of the camper. Usually the bigger the campervan the higher the cost of fuel. However the costs must be compared to comfort. It would be a bonus if you get free kilometres as well
7. Pick up and drop offs – Enquire about pick-ups and drop offs especially over weekends so that you can make proper arrangments and avoid additional charges
8. Affordability – The reason you are no booking a hotel is because you want something that is affordable. The campervan must be useful but not expensive
Where to Camp in South Island
As a camper you are not allowed to park anywhere. Here are the places you are allowed to park your campervan:
• Holiday parks with or without power sites
• Campsites run by the Department of Conservation
• Freedom camping for certified self-contained campervans
Next time you plan a trip to explore the country consider hiring a campervan. It is an affordable, functional and fun way to travel. For more information on campervan hire South Island visit http://www.camperco.co.nz