Not many know the difference between bariatric and cosmetic surgery. While the former focusses on weight loss for obese people who have not met with success through exercise and diet; the latter is often mistaken for plastic surgery.
Keeping the body fit and fine is what every person desires. These days everyone is under the grip of obesity. We call fat people - obese. But do you know what is obesity? A person is obese only if his/her Body Mass Index (BMI) is over 30 or more. One can define BMI as a measure of your weight to your height.
So, in order to reduce obesity, we keep doing exercise as well as dieting. But, what if you are not able to lose weight with exercise and dieting? Then you opt for Bariatric Surgery. Bariatric Surgery is a surgery to reduce fat. It is an operation to lose weight by making changes to the digestive system.The surgery is performed by experienced Bariatric surgeons.
There are two types of bariatric surgery. In the first type, the stomach is made smaller which make people eat and drink less all the time. The other one is by making changes to the small intestine. The small intestine absorbs the calories and nutrients from the food and beverages.
Unknown Facts About Bariatric Surgery
- People lose about 15 to 30 percent of weight, in the beginning, depending on the type of surgery.
- Bariatric Surgery does not give a guarantee of weight loss and or gaining weight afterward.
- People may even regain a part of the weight they have lost.
- It does not replace healthy habits but just makes you consume fewer calories at every instance.
These days everyone wants to look perfect. If one does not look perfect, they want to opt for Cosmetic Surgery. But what is cosmetic surgery? A cosmetic surgery is an aesthetic surgery which aims to improve one’s appearance. Many a time, it is used synonymously with plastic surgery. But there is a huge difference between the two. Cosmetic surgery is an elective surgery aimed to beautify the person. However, plastic surgery is to rectify the damages to regain normality.
Bariatric Surgery v/s Cosmetic Surgery
Both Cosmetic Surgery and Bariatric surgery are for beautifying a person. They improve appearance as well as self-confidence. These may have the same purpose, but these two are altogether different. Some of the differences are-
1) Bariatric Surgery aims at weight loss while cosmetic surgery is all about beautifying a person. There is no change in the weight of the person in cosmetic surgery.
2) Bariatric surgery involves changes in the diet of an individual. But there is no change in the appetite of the person in Cosmetic surgery.
3) The main aim of bariatric surgery is to limit your appetite thus, reducing weight. Therefore, bariatric surgery is an indirect step towards beautifying. But, cosmetic surgery is all about direct changes in the appearance of an individual.
4) Bariatric surgery can be reversible, which means, the weight loss can be gained again. While cosmetic surgery cannot be reversed. There will be no changes post cosmetic surgery.
5) Bariatric surgery cannot reduce the excess skin present on your face or improve the body proportions. But, cosmetic surgery can reduce the excess skin and make changes to improve body proportions.
6) Bariatric surgery is generally performed on the stomach or the intestine. However, cosmetic surgery is generally performed on the face.
7) Post-bariatric surgery, patients have to undergo permanent lifestyle change. But after a cosmetic surgery, patients may have to wear full garments 24x7 and avoid excessive exercise for just one month. After that, you can do whatever you want.
8) Bariatric surgery also improves medical conditions for type 2 diabetes while cosmetic surgery does not have such extra benefits.
Do the research well and be clear about what you want. Also, investigate the pros and cons of both. Always, think twice before making any decision.